help desk software

Fencing Contractors

Fencing installation and repair is a large group when you consider the various types of specialty contractors that are required to be licensed in California. The California CSLB describes this classification as follows: A fencing contractor constructs, erects, alters, or repairs all types of fences, corrals, runs, railings, cribs, game court enclosures, guard rails and barriers, playground game equipment, backstops, posts, flagpoles, and gates, excluding masonry walls.

As with most specialty contractors, fencing contractors are particularly vulnerable to liability claims for bodily injury and property damage from third parties. Because of the hazardous tools and equipment that are used at every job site, employees are also at risk for work-related injuries and illnesses. Fairbanks Insurance Brokers provides a package of very affordable insurance products that will transfer these risks to highly-rated insurance carriers.

Here is What We Recommend:


General Liability: The General Liability coverage forms the foundation of your contractor’s insurance package. It covers your businesses for costs that result from bodily injury and property damage claims, medical expense payments, products and completed operations, and personal injuries (slander and libel). The policy also pays for your defense costs if an action is brought against your company by a third party.


Workers’ Compensation: The California licensing bureau will require that your company have workers’ comp in force before issuing your license to work in the state. This coverage not only pays for medical expenses and lost wages if an employee suffers a work-related injury or illness, but it also insulates your company from having to pay these expenses for your workers.


Surety Bonds: Your states’ licensing board and most of your commercial customers are going to require that you put up a surety bond. This bond acts as a financial guarantee if you are unable to complete a project or pay sub-contractors and vendors.


Commercial Auto Insurance: As a fencing contractor, you will need to use a commercial auto insurance policy to cover all your company vehicles in the event of an at-fault accident or if any of your vehicles are damaged in an accident, damaged from vandalism, or are stolen.


Tool & Equipment Coverage: Fencing contractors must use various types of expensive tools and equipment in the shop and at the job site. Your Tool & Equipment coverage (Inland Marine Insurance) provides the coverage needed when tools and equipment are damaged as the result of a covered peril or stolen.